Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 9

July 10th- 9 days old

I haven't taken any pictures of them today, so I will have to take some when I go back in and post them later.

This morning wasn't very successful with bottle feeding. My mom was able to come and she tried feeding Jack, but he only ate a few mL. We didn't try with Aniston this morning because last night she had thrown up a bunch... all over Jack's face! Poor guy! Of course, because we didn't try bottle feeding her she seemed most interested in it today after she was already hooked up to the tube.

When I got there last night the nurse was giving the babies baths and they sure don't like that very much! In a few days their umbilical cords should be falling off, then they will be able to get more than just their sponge baths. It's sad to think they will get their first real baths at the hospital and I probably won't even be there when that happens because usually they do their baths at night when I'm not there. It makes me sad!

It's so annoying how much it takes to feed the babies because they will get a bottle all set up and if they don't take to it very quickly then we have to gavage it. Usually just after the nurse will get that all set up they will act like they are hungry and want to try the bottle again... ahh... by this time it's too late, so they just tube feed them and don't get the chance to learn to bottle feed very much. I don't want them to take forever to eat from the bottle and get hungry, but it's frustrating because they aren't learning very quickly because they go so quickly to gavage feeding! It almost seems like it's making them slower to eat because they are so used to being full and rarely get to the point to getting hungry enough to give bottle feeding (or breast feeding) a try. That's why I just decided to go with bottles for now.

A couple days ago when I told the nurse that I wanted to try bottles she had to have the nurse practitioner come in to okay it, and she proceeded to make me feel like crap about it! She was so in my face about it! She was saying that no matter what decision I chose they would support me, but it sure didn't feel like it! I was so upset about it. Later after she had left I talked to the nurse forever about it and she was so nice! She totally understood how hard it was and that nursing wasn't for everyone or even every baby. I want to nurse, but it's so stressful trying every time and not being very successful. I really just want to get them home and then work on it more then. Yes, I know, it will probably make it more confusing for them and may take longer, but as it is, Aniston hasn't made any progress with it. She's latched on only a couple times, but never really sucked hard enough to even get anything. Jack has nursed a couple times, but it's almost like he uses up so much energy doing it that he's only good to do it once a day! How long would it take for them to get the hang of it!? I hate how everyone at the hospital just has this idea that nursing is the only way and you're not doing enough if you don't nurse! Am I not doing enough pumping every two hours and at least they are getting breastmilk? I could never have known how hard it would be to have my babies stuck in the NICU for so long and then have the nurse practitioner tell me that no matter what I do, both breastfeeding and bottle feeding are going to be just as hard for them and either way they'll probably be in there another 2 weeks. I don't get why it would take them that long to catch on to bottle feeding... I think I might go out of my mind if they are in there for another 2 weeks when they are both healthy and haven't been having any problems, except for learning to eat! I don't know how people do it when their baby/babies are in the NICU for months. I think I would become depressed!

11 comments:

Staci said...

I am glad you decided to start with the bottles. They are better than the tube. Are they giving you at least 30 minutes to try? I think they allowed me 30 minutes to try the bottle or nurse, and if he wasn't interested at that point they would start the tube. It really will click soon though, I promise. Once it does the will be home in a day or two. Keep trying. I know it totally sucks being away from AaraLyn all day and missing all of the "firsts." It is good that AaraLyn has at least been able to see them though. Chandler didn't meet Dylan until he was two weeks old. I really would love to take her, so please call me. Sorry I haven't tried calling...I just remember that I rarely was able or wanted to answer my phone during those days, so I haven't wanted to bother you.

The Mursets said...

Hang in there! That is so annoying that the nurses make you feel like a terrible Mom for not breastfeeding. I mean you are pumping, and that is great! At least they are still getting your milk, and a bottle is much better then a tube. When Nathan was born he had the worst time latching on, and I would get so fed up and cry, and they wouldn't let me leave the hospital until he was nursing properly.(And he was perfectly healthy) I was like- Hello if he doesn't get the hang of it I will give him a bottle, it is not like I am going to let my baby starve. I sure hope you get to bring those cuties home soon!

Frei Family said...

I hope things get better!! You should some time when everyone at the hospital isnt hounding you! the babies are so cute!! I am glad you all are doing well!!

Tara Wayne Malakai Maddux Kenya Alofipo said...

that is way hard. the nurses definitly push nursing. To be honest with you, even though my twins got to come home with me from the hospital, they nursed really good, but i ALWAYS had to supplament with formula, and ALL i was doing was breastfeeding them...i only lasted 2 months and said forget it. They had bottles from then on out and they are fine! and trust me, it is so much easier and LESS stressful. so don't let the nurses tell you what to do. listen to your body, you will have enough to deal with already! good Luck

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

There is no way I could breast feed twins...I would totally pump and supplement too. Hang in there. I've seen how hard it can be on families with babies in the NICU and I feel for you. They're doing great and they're healthy. They'll be home soon.

Deedra said...

Believe me, I know how you feel. I bawled so much those first couple weeks. The NICU was so stressful and depressing (it doesn't help those baby blues thats for sure). Hang in there! You're those babies mamma and you know what is best for them and whats best for you.

Sam and Lacey said...

Hang in there. I know I don't know you very well but having all of my babies in their for such a long time you difinatly have to do what you think is best for your children. Stick up for yourself! They gave me that same run around with Ali. As soon as I told them I don't care what I do I am just getting her out of here they kinda turned off towards me. I started just giving her bottles every feeding and I had her home two days latter. The Nicu says that it dosen't confuse them having them going back and forth between gavage and breast and bottle but I think it does. Don't get me wrong I am not against breast feeding at all. I just think that it isn't for every baby. I brought her home weighing on 4lbs. 2oz. They gave so much flack about it. My peditrition even called me to tell me don't give a hoot to what they say. I ended up just bottle feeding her and she was fine and still is fine. I actually loved it. We still bonded great. Everything is normal with her. HAng in there and you will get them home soon. I know you will. Then it will just seem like they were not there very long. Sorry about the essay if you have any questions or just want to vent email me at laceytorgerson@yahoo.com

Kiley said...

Hang in there and know whatever decision you make will be the best for you and the babies! It makes me so mad how people make you feel like crap if you supplement or just do bottles! You can only do what you can! It will work out.

Sam and Lacey said...

Natasha-
Thanks for your comment back. My heart breaks for you. It is so hard having babies in the NICU when you have a toddler at home. I hope it gets better when they come home. I love love love the nurses at they NICU but let me tell you one thing. They have to tell you that it could take awile before they can come home. They don't want to tell you something that they can't do. So I would say they will be home sooner than they tell you. You never know, but they told me Ali wouldn't come home till fourty weeks and she came home at 37 so hang in there. Also sometimes they get a little caught up in their schedule. They have other babies and they get a little busy and if your babies get a little off schedule than it messes the other babies schedules up too. I really do like the nurses there. You just jave to give them a friendly reminder sometimes that us mothers still have a life outside the NICU and it is so hard having a baby in there. You are pulled so many ways and NO ONE will every understand unless they have had a baby in there. So, you just have to be a little pushy. You can still be nice about it but you difinatly have to hold your own. Stick with it and do what YOU think is best for your babies. That is all that matters!

The Colvins said...

I remember the nurses giving me a hard time about the nursing/bottle issue when Jackson was in the NICU. They made me like crap because they said I wasn't pumping enough--like having a baby in the NICU wasn't hard enough! I'm sorry you have to go through that! Jackson didn't even learn how to nurse until he came home from the hospital! Give yourself a break--if they don't catch on that's okay. On the bright side though, you have the most beautiful babies!

THE HEWARDS said...

CONGRATZ! They are soo cute. Wish you guys where in the ward still so we could see them. And see them grow! I can't believe how much hair they have!! well agian congratz!!!