Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Adventures during our first week home

I guess it's about time for a new post! I can't believe it, my babies are already 3 weeks old! Things have been going well. The babies have both caught on to nursing really well and Jack has been so much happier since doing so! He doesn't get so much air in his tummy when he nurses, so he is much happier! I just feel so bad for him when he gets fussy from his belly hurting! Both of the babies eat on schedule most of the time and are really good to wake up at the right times at night to eat too. It has been a lot harder with two, to nurse at night than with just one! I am so tired sometimes that I can't remember who nursed and at what time last, and on which side... but at least they know when they are hungry, so I know they won't starve, they will just let me know when they are ready to eat again! Sometimes it seems like I had only gotten a few mins of sleep before it's time to feed them again! It will be nice when they are a little bit older so they can go longer before eating again, just so I can get a few more winks! I don't really want them to grow up quickly, but more sleep at night would be nice!

It's amazing how tiny they are still! We had our first doctor's visit last Wednesday, and they were 5 lbs 10 oz (Jack) and 5 lbs 11 oz (Aniston), but still they don't fit into newborn clothes! These pants were newborn size and I thought maybe they'd fit Ani, but when I put them on her they were huge! Preemie size just fit them but I don't think they are going to last very long! They are also getting too big for Preemie diapers. We haven't put any preemie diapers on Jack since before he came home because he would always end up filling his diapers so much that they would leak on to his clothes! Oh, and I also have to mention that both of the babies have broken me in already by peeing (and pooping- thanks Jack) on me while changing them! I've always been scared to change boy diapers thinking that they would do this all the time, but actually Ani did it to me first! I guess it's all expected huh? It's one of the joys of parenthood!

We've had a few visitors since the babies have been home. It was nice to see a bunch of my friends who live out of town, and just perfect timing that they babies were home when they were all here! Also, last weekend was the Astle family reunion, so we got to eat dinner over at my uncle's house and all my aunts and uncles got to see the babies. Aaralyn enjoyed swimming in their pool for a little while with my mom and dad!
My grandpa and grandma Astle also got to hold Jack and Aniston for the first time. They came to see them in the NICU, but with all the cords and stuff they didn't end up holding them.
On Sunday Dave's parents also came to visit. I had to take this picture because this is probably one of the first times in YEARS that Dave's dad has held a newborn... not because there's hasn't been PLENTY of newborns, but because he doesn't want to hold such small babies, he says they're too breakable! I was going to give Jack to Shirley to hold, and she was already holding Aniston, so she tried passing her over to Val... it took a little persuading to get him to take her, but he did! We had to get this picture as proof that he held a baby that was younger than 6 months...
I have been nervous that Aaralyn will start acting out because of the babies or get jealous of them, but she's been such a good big sister! She has always been so sweet to them and really gentle! She always wants to kiss them and hug them! I need to get a picture of her kissing them, but lately I've just been lazy and haven't gotten her fixed up enough for picture taking! Usually even when I have taken the time to get her hair all cute and fixed it only lasts that way for a little while before she's taken out the rubber bands! Ahh, it's so frustrating! It will be nice to have one boy that I will be able to fix his hair and have it stay fixed and not have to worry about him undoing all my work!

5 comments:

The Mursets said...

I am so glad to hear the babies are nursing well. Aaralyn is so adorable, and I am glad she is adjusting well. Good luck catching some zzz's!

Erin said...

I'm soooooo glad they both caught on to nursing. I'm sure it's so hard to feed two babies at night, I can't even imagine... you poor thing! Aaralyn can come over anytime if you want to try to sleep, we had lots of fun with her when she came over. PICTURES... I am sooooo excited that you want us to take some, when is good for you? And I will be there. Just let me know!

Staci said...

I am so glad that things are going well. I can only imagine how exhausted you are. They sure are cute. AaraLyn's hair is getting so long! I love it. The second Chandler lay's down for a nap or gets in the car seat his hair is ruined too. Oh well. I guess I am lazy too-I don't really do it anymore unless we go somewhere because it just gets messed up. We would love to come visit. Would tomorrow evening work? I will see if my parents could watch the boys and maybe we can run over for twenty minutes or so. I am so confused about the background. It looks so jacked up on my computer. I think I have seen it on other blogs though and it looks normal. I don't even know what to do with it. What did you have to do to it? Give me a call or leave a comment and let us know when would be a good time to come by.

Jessica said...

Just like everyone else I am glad that they both have caught on to the nursing thing...it is amazing the difference a few weeks makes. Way to go for nursing both of them at night- I swear all your days and nights just feel like one big long day until they are a couple months old and sleeping longer. Good Luck!!!

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

Val W. always says that! He loves holding the babies...don't let him tease ya. :)