Maybe a little too much information...
Today I had to go to the doctor because I felt like I was starting to get mastitis. Yuck! I had it like 7 times with Aaralyn because I was just pumping, so I guess it wasn't effectively getting everything out and then would get clogged. Well, I didn't want it to get so bad that I started feeling sick, so I decided to go. I'm glad that I went because by the time I got there it was even worse and the one side was at least 3 times the size of the other side! It felt like a rock and no matter how much I tried to get Jack to eat today he would just fuss and act like he wasn't getting anything. I even tried pumping and NOTHING would come out! The doctor said that it was pretty serious and that if it continued it would turn into an abscess! To get rid of one of those you'd have to have surgery to drain it, depending on how bad they are. That would be aweful! I read online that after having surgery it takes like 2-3 weeks to heal and drain. I feel bad for anyone who would have to go through all that!
So I ended up getting a shot. Okay, NOT what I was expecting! I had a shot one other time for this and I don't remember it hurting, if I had the same shot last time, I WOULD HAVE REMEMBERED! I have NEVER had a shot hurt so much in my life! That's including the 15 (or so) shots of Progesterone while I was pregnant, that hurt because it was so thick, and they would be sore for almost a week and then I'd get another one, and including the shots I got for preterm labor, which really stung, and also epidurals. I would rather have any of those over this shot I got today! She warned me that it was going to sting. Sting is not even the word for it. She said she had to get one before, but I just thought, "Oh, I've had lots of shots before, this won't be too bad..." Man, it hurt! Immediately I could feel it going down my leg and then it just started burning and cramping. I had to limp back out to my car and felt like I couldn't drive! That painful sensation didn't ware off until I got home! I hope never to have to have one of those shots again! But on the up side... the mastitis is getting better and after working on it ALL day (lots of heat, then ice, then heat, then ice, then showers, and massage and lots of pumping in between) I finally got the majority of it out! I think it's now bearable to feed Jack again! Poor kid is probably dehydrated because he won't drink anything else, but at least he got cereal to keep him from starving!
Oh, one other good thing... they weighed me at the doctor's office and I was happy to see how much I weighed! This is also bad though because it makes me think maybe I shouldn't be to quick to stop nursing because then I'd have to quit eating all those Valentine's sugar cookies and start working out to stay here... Can't I just have my cake and eat it too... and not gain weight!?

6 comments:
Mastitis is definitely NOT fun! I've had it a couple of times, but never bad enough to go to the Dr. Once I had it pretty bad, and it was over a weekend. Sunday was the worst day, and I swore that if it didn't feel any better by Monday I was going to the Dr. Luckily, it felt tons better the next day. But I definitely did the heat/ice/shower/massage/pumping thing! I cried over the whole thing. Knock on wood, I haven't had it with Tess.
Owwww!!!! I'm glad you didn't have to get surgery!
Oh no, I hope you continue to get better.
ouch...reading your post brings back a lot of painful memory, and I didn't even have it as bad as you did. Good luck, and feel better! SORRY!
Yuck and ouch and scary! Sorry!
That sounds horrible! I'm sorry! Hope you are feeling better!
Post a Comment