Thursday, September 25, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

Last Friday was my mom's birthday and I wanted to wish her a Happy Birthday! Yes, this is very late, but we were so busy! For the last couple weeks we (my older sister, Nichole, who lives in Dayton, NV and I) had been planning a surprise birthday for my mom. My sister lives about 8 hours away, so my mom never expected that she would be here for her birthday, but since it was her 50th birthday we decided we needed to do something fun for her!

Nichole flew in on Thursday and we got baking all the cake! Nichole had told my mom a week before that she needed to be free the morning of her birthday and she was going to call her that morning. Friday morning she called my mom and told her that she had bought a spa package for her birthday present and that she needed to be at the spa at 10:00 for her appointment. My mom said, "I wish you could be there to go with me!" My mom was SOOO surprised when she got to the spa and Nicki opened the door! It took a minute to register that it was her standing there! We all cried!

I don't think my mom expected anything more than just that... she probably figured that we would just hangout the rest of the weekend and that was it. Saturday morning at like 3 o'clock my dad got back home from work (he works up north for 10 days and then is home for 5 days) and he surprised her with a new bike. That morning they went for a ride and my sister had to make up excuses to say that she didn't want to go, so she could come over to my house to finish the rest of the cake. It took us (mostly her, because she is the cake decorator... or used to be...) about 2 1/2 hours to decorate the cake. It turned out so cute! It was made with fondant, which we made ourselves... well, really, Nicki made it... The candles were some that I found at the party store on Sunset. They were sparklers in the shape of "50"!

Later that day I told my mom that we should all go to dinner together for her birthday since my dad was home now. For a couple hours that evening my dad and sister got her out of the house so we could decorate the house and get everyone there. She thought that we were going to meet them at Applebees and that they had to run home to get Kaleigh before going to dinner. Well, when she got home she sure got another surprise! The funny thing was that she saw all the cars in their cul-de-sac and said, "Someone must be having a party!" She even saw our truck, but then thought that it must be someone else's because she saw some people walking into a neighbor's house and so that's where the party must be! She was still clueless when she walked right past the huge cake we made, and she didn't see it, and it didn't really click when she saw all the balloons until she walked outside and saw all the people in the back yard!!! I think that was the best birthday surprise I have ever witnessed! I was so glad that everything turned out and that we got to do something so fun and memorable for her! Happy Birthday again Mom! We all love you!

She was quite surprised!



Awesome cake! It tasted really good too! It had buttercream frosting underneath the fondant, and between the layers.

My mom doesn't look like she is 50! Doesn't she look so good!?
It was fun having my sister here for a few days.


This was Sunday, she and Jack fell asleep on the chair together! Cute huh?!

7 comments:

Karley said...

That cake really is cool. Good job you guys!

Onwheels said...

What a fun bunch of surprises for your mom! Glad it was so much fun.
And...no, she doesn't look fifty!

Shirley

Clenece said...

I love the cake! Great job!

Erin said...

How fun! I will have to do something like that for my mom when she turns 50. I LOVE the cake, it's awesome. Good Job!

Bri or Aaron said...

cool cake!

Staci said...

Darling cake! I have been wanting to make a cake like that for a while but haven't had a reason to. Was the fondant hard to do? I love the look of fondant cakes, but I hate the taste of it. You did a great job. Sounds like she had a great birthday.

Deedra said...

That's awesome!! I love surprising people - its so fun! The cake is amazing!